By Gary Burns
- Includes over dozen essays protecting the spectrum of pop culture stories from nutrition to folklore and from television to technology
- Features contributions from confirmed and up-and-coming students from quite a number disciplines
- Offers a close background of the learn of renowned culture
- Balances new views at the politics of tradition with in-depth research of subject matters on the vanguard of pop culture studies
Read or Download A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Similar popular culture books
On tv, in magazines and books, on the net and in motion pictures, celebrities of every kind appear to monopolize our awareness. big name Society brings new dimensions to our knowing of famous person, shooting the best way the determine of ‘the megastar’ is sure up with the emergence of modernity.
This publication explores the connection among recreation and democratization. Drawing on sociological and historic methodologies, it offers a framework for realizing how game impacts the extent of egalitarianism within the society within which it's performed. the writer distinguishes among horizontal recreation, which embodies and fosters egalitarian kinfolk, and vertical game, which embodies and fosters hierarchical family members.
The e-book specializes in the specified contribution that Joseph Maguire has made to strategy sociology and the learn of game. Maguire’s paintings during the last 3 a long time highlights how strategy sociology has a special viewpoint at the courting among activity, tradition and society, and to the physique, globalisation and civilisational research.
In its traditional that means, masquerade refers to a festive amassing of individuals donning mask and stylish costumes. yet conventional types of masquerade have advanced over the last century to incorporate the illustration of exchange identities within the media and venues of pop culture, together with tv, movie, the web, theater, museums, activities arenas, renowned magazines and a number neighborhood celebrations, reenactments and conventions.
- X-Men and the Mutant Metaphor: Race and Gender in the Comic Books
- State Propaganda in China’s Entertainment Industry (Routledge Contemporary China Series)
- Forging the Past: Seth and the Art of Memory (Great Comics Artists Series)
- The Legality of Boxing: A Punch Drunk Love? (Birkbeck Law Press)
- Latino Baseball Legends: An Encyclopedia
Extra resources for A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)
A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) by Gary Burns