By Alicia D. Myers,Bruce G. Schuchard
A selection of essays by means of specialists from round the world
Like the opposite New testomony Gospels, the Gospel of John time and again appeals to Scripture (Old Testament). who prefer allusions and “echoes” along extra specific quotations, besides the fact that, the Gospel of John weaves Scripture as an authoritative resource referring to its tale of Jesus. but, this is often an analogous Gospel that's frequently considered as opposed towards “the Jews,” particularly the Jewish non secular leaders, depicted inside it.
- Introduces and updates readers at the query of John’s employment of Scripture
- Showcases priceless methods to extra basic experiences at the New Testament’s use of Scripture, sociological and rhetorical analyses, and reminiscence theory
- Explores the prospective implications surrounding Scripture utilization for the Gospel audiences either old and contemporary
Alicia D. Myers is Assistant Professor of recent testomony and Greek at Campbell collage Divinity tuition. She is the writer of Characterizing Jesus: A Rhetorical research at the Fourth Gospel’s Use of Scripture in Its Presentation of Jesus (Bloomsbury T&T Clark).
Bruce G. Schuchard is Professor of Exegetical Theology at Concordia Seminary. he's the writer of Scripture inside Scripture: The Interrelationship of shape and serve as within the specific outdated testomony Citations within the Gospel of John (Scholars Press).
Read Online or Download Abiding Words: The Use of Scripture in the Gospel of John (Resources for Biblical Study Book 81) PDF
Best christian reference books
Lines the biblical unfolding of God's redemptive plan via 12 epochs. Praised through covenant and dispensational theologians alike.
This monograph examines the concept that of Jesus’ perfection within the Epistle to the Hebrews with regards to the wider theological issues of divine beneficence and divine “philanthropia”. 3 times in Hebrews Jesus is defined as being perfected (Hebrews 2:10, 5:9, 7:28), and in of those situations (Hebrews 2:10, 5:8-9) the writer explicitly hyperlinks the subject of Jesus’ agony to the content material of his perfection.
Those volumes of the hot testomony and Greek Literature are the magnum opus of biblical pupil Dennis R. MacDonald, outlining the profound connections among the hot testomony and classical Greek poetry. MacDonald argues that the Gospel writers borrowed from verified literary assets to create tales approximately Jesus that readers of the day may locate convincing.
Juvencus’ Evangeliorum libri IV, or "The 4 Books of the Gospels," is a verse rendering of the gospel narrative written ca. 330 CE. including round 3200 hexameter traces, it's the first of the Latin "Biblical epics" to seem in antiquity, and the 1st classicizing, hexameter poem on a Christian subject to seem within the western culture.
- Evocations of the Calf?: Romans 1:18–2:11 and the Substructure of Psalm 106(105) (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- Comentario al texto hebreo del Antiguo Testamento: Pentateuco e Históricos (Pentateuco E Historicos) (Spanish Edition)
- The Pauline Effect: The Use of the Pauline Epistles by Early Christian Writers (Studies of the Bible and Its Reception (SBR))
- Christ the Ideal King: Cultural Context, Rhetorical Strategy, and the Power of Divine Monarchy in Ephesians (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament / 2. Reihe)
Additional resources for Abiding Words: The Use of Scripture in the Gospel of John (Resources for Biblical Study Book 81)
Abiding Words: The Use of Scripture in the Gospel of John (Resources for Biblical Study Book 81) by Alicia D. Myers,Bruce G. Schuchard